Thursday, August 18, 2011

First Week of School is Almost Over

Guy with Cravat
So, my first week of school is just about finished!  I'm really doing it! (going to baking school that is)

First day was good, your typical first day. Syllabus, rules...how to wear our uniforms!  Fortunately, there were some nice people helping us n00bs out with that stuff.  It's funny cuz both Eric and I wear ties every day.  Mine just happens to be called a cravat.  Kinda like the one this guy's wearing...but mine's plain white. And his looks kind of goofy; ours are supposed to make us look professional and to control the sweating. Gross, but a good idea.

Anyway, second day of school they trusted us with knives!!  Can you believe it?!  I couldn't.  We cut a lot of potatoes.  Now Eric and I have a lot of potatoes waiting to be consumed.  I found out that we're gonna learn how to be creative with all the product we end up taking home. 

My teacher, Chef Luke, is a funny guy.  Well, I think so anyway...I don't know what's up with some of the other students, but it's a tough crowd... I feel like I'm laughing too much, but I can't help it.  I was even called the "rambunctious" one of the group.  Me?  Who'da thought?  When I told Eric this, he said, "wow, you're teacher's got a good read on you."

Tourne Veggies
Today (4th day of school) was another Foundations class, so more cutting!  I've learned a lot from this class already, how to hold a knife properly, how to peel an onion the "Cordon Bleu/French" way, how to and not to Tourne a vegetable. (Meaning, I was shown how it was done...I just don't know how to do it myself yet.)  One day mine will look like these!*fingers crossed!*








No comments:

Post a Comment